On Friday the 25th of September 2020, the fourth edition of the German AWS Community Day happened. After Cologne (2017), Frankfurt (2018) and Hamburg (2019) this was the first time where it was held as a purely online event and with a full day of German content. We at evoila have been happy to participate in multiple ways.
While having an AWS conference with pure german content was already a bit of unique compared to the tremendous amount of available AWS related online content these days. Doing an event like the AWS Community Day as a fully online edition was something completely different.
On one side for myself as part of the team of organisers, but also on the other side for evoila as a sponsor. It was the first time where we would not be able to meet in person, exchange thoughts, ideas and experiences. Networking and the possibility to talk to each other has always been one of the most valuable characteristics of any AWS Community Day so far. Transferring this experience over into the digital world isn’t an easy task. Starting from finding the right technical solutions, an event platform, involving partners and sponsors, up to engaging the community into yet another online event.
Nevertheless from my personal point of view, but also when looking at the numbers, it was again a fantastic and successful event:
- An agenda fully packed with 22 great talks, distributed over four tracks covering a broad mix of topics. From Big Data and Machine Learning, Cloud Development over to Enterprise topics, Cloud Cost optimisation and IoT.
- 4 topic-based happy hours in the evening.
- Almost 900 registrations and around actual 530 participants.
- An Expo where everyone was able to visit a virtual booth of the sponsors, start a video call to discuss their offerings or take a look at job postings.
- The Keynote was joined by the German AWS Developer Advocates which brought a video greeting from Klaus Bürg (AWS General Manager DACH)
- And as special guest the LAMBDA – A Serverless Musical
We at evoila are super happy that we had the chance to be one of the sponsors, and we also would like to send a big thank you to all participants, speaker, the other sponsors, the team of organisers and everybody else who helped making this event with a day full of learning and technical content possible for the German AWS Community.
For those of you who didn’t had the chance to visit our virtual booth at the event can find our still valid offering document here (PDF).
About the Autor
Andreas Rütten is the Business Lead AWS at evoila GmbH. He helps our customers on their journey in the AWS Cloud. Since 2013 he is working with the AWS Cloud and spent many years building Systems mostly in the Web and Data area for the AdTech industry. He is also organizer of the AWS User Group in Hamburg and part of the team of organizers of the German AWS Community Day since the beginning.